Sunday, July 17, 2011

Safari Survivors

Welcome to the Serengeti
                     Jack and I returned today from our 3 day Serengeti and Ngorongoro crater safari. It was incredible, and challenging in lots of ways. It goes without saying that the scenery was absolutely breathtaking and the animals, stunning. We saw every african animal except rhino, and most of them only 5-10 ft from the car, even lions! The safari was thrilling but my favorite parts were camping in the Serengeti with rangers walking around with assault riffles, meeting Jack's friends and getting to know them a little better, talking with our guide Hassan and our cook, Jonathan, and definitely taking in all the scenery, through the clouds of dust. We saw beautiful sunrises and sunsets and the crisp horizon of the Savannah meeting the blue skies. I loved spending that time with my crazy-Africa-loving brother and comrades. It was an adventure I will never forget, for more reasons than one.
               Tonight and tomorrow morning will be our last time in Arusha and I will head to Lusaka around 3 pm and Jack will maybe stay one night and then head to Zanzibar and a few other places before he returns to the US for school. Pray for the team coming the long hall from the US tomorrow to Lusaka. They will arrive Wednesday around lunch time. Pray for safe travels for myself, all connections and luggage to be worked out, only so I will be on schedule to meet my precious sponsor child, Melody, and shower her and her family with gifts! I cannot wait to see everyone at the hospital and then to meet Melody and see her village, school, and family! It will be an eventful next few days. The Lord is going before us and he goes with us, that I cling to.

     "I set you as a seal upon my heart, as a seal upon my arm. For love is as strong as death, jealousy demanding as the grave. The flames of the Lord are fierce. Many waters cannot quench this love, nor flood drown it."
     Song of Solomon 8:6-7
Along the Safari
One of our campsites

No comments:

Post a Comment