Sunday, June 19, 2011

Lift up drooping hands and strengthen weak knees


"Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed."

Hebrews 12:12-13




            This verse was talked about in our devotional from church this morning, Streams in the Desert. In our woman’s bible study we discussed the importance of fellowship and community. One woman gave her testimony, which highlighted the dire need for community in our lives and she shared how the woman of faith around her were God’s hands and presence around her during some of her most difficult times.  As we talked at our tables we were each reminded of the arms of love that enveloped us during trying times in our lives and how those lives radiated the love and grace of the Gospel to us. I was reminded of my dad’s cancer, and first of the arms of love that enveloped me when I was only 17 and I heard the news and was serving in a foreign country with people I had known for two weeks. Those people loved on me and became my family in a way I didn’t know what possible. I saw the real meaning behind being called 'the body of Christ.'
            But as I reflected on this verse further, I was reminded of Zambia. I am reminded of the need for me, for our team, for Cure, to be that encouragement and community for so many lost and broken lives in that country. I am reminded of our need to lift up drooping hands and strengthen weak knees of faith, but also our privilege to physically heal those hands and knees. I remember last year spending the afternoon at the mobile clinic surrounded by children with CP and their mothers. Wow, how those mothers loved their children. Some of them had carried their teenage CP children MILES, HOURS, to see the doctor. And their children sat, some completely lifeless, totally dependent, but you could see through their pain how truly grateful they were. Seeing that doctor brought light to their lives, it gave hope, but most importantly, it revealed to them the love of the God who created them and who sustains them…"that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed.”
            I pray God continues to heal those lives, physically, and even more that they will be healed spiritually. God may we go and lift up drooping hands and strengthen weak knees, make straight paths, and bring healing to your people in Zambia.
____________________________________________________________________

      I also wanted to share and mention that I am still $650 short of my total fundraising goal as of Friday. I also wanted to mention that I am still selling Cure cards and Hope Art bracelets which you can find out more about here on my fundraisers page. I am grateful for each and every one who has joined me in support and prayer and I am so excited for what God has planned ahead of the team and I. I am still hoping and praying for 9 more prayer warriors to commit to pray for my team and I while we serve in Zambia. We desperately need your prayers lifting us up and partnering with us while we are on the field. If you are interested in any of the above things and/or have more questions please contact me by leaving a comment on this post, or by e-mail: lrwilks@vt.edu

   Also here is a list of things we are beginning to collect to bring with us to the hospital for the hospital and the outreach:

1. Toothbrushes and toothpaste to present another dental clinic during the outreach


2. Toys: (gently used or new) for the hospital playroom, to keep children occupied while waiting or in recovery 

3. Crafts and activities for the kids camps: frisbees, balls & air pumps, bubbles, jump ropes, packages of crayons/markers/pencils, balloons, etc. 
  
    

No comments:

Post a Comment