Thursday, November 26, 2009

How did I get involved with CURE?

Getting involved with CURE all started by the Lord`s will. After I attended a meeting for the nursing club at Virginia Tech I got a list of different nursing programs/missions offered worldwide. That night I spent an hour researching through the different programs and I came across one that sounded particularly interesting: CURE International. The next day I read through “about CURE” and“get involved” on the CURE website. Then I proceeded to look up different trips they had available next summer. When I came across the trip to Zambia I knew it was where I should go.

When I was 13 my mom and dad gave me a little girl from Zambia to sponsor through World Vision. Her name is Melody Muchimba and she is now 14 years old. She has always been so close to my heart, another sister. As soon as I saw Zambia on the trip list I was so excited. I have no plans in meeting sweet Melody but just being there and serving the Lord with her people will be such an amazing blessing.

So only two days after I applied for the trip, the Lord was beginning to show me how serious He was about me going. I told my mom about applying for the trip who later told my sister, Jo. And that’s where the crazy connections began to unravel. Immediately Joanna was like she applied where? To do what? Turns out the founder of CURE International was the CEO and President of Kirschner Medical who has now merged with Biomet. And Biomet is the company my brother-in-law works for. And on top of that one of the CURE headquarters is in Lamoyne, PA, about 30miles from their home. And as if there couldn’t be more, Jo knows more than a handful of people who serve with CURE long-term and who have gone on short-term trips. Hearing that really set everything in stone and the Lord just reassured me that His plan is perfect and He had everything under control.

It was only hours before I couldn’t even really tell my mom what I was going to do or why I was doing it. And then just at the right time the Lord assured me to go to Zambia. And sure enough, a couple weeks later they e-mailed me to tell me, “You’re Accepted!” So here I am on the road to raising support and getting excited as the trip gets closer! I am excited to keep you updated and tell you more about the trip whenever I can. Pray now for the kids in Zambia and nationwide that are being born with these disabilities and many of them are offered no hope. Pray they would know the hope that is found in Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment